Dec 26, 2013
Not as homophobic as Chevy Chase.
Not a lot of gay subtext vehicles, although you could include his role in S.F.W. (1994), as the brother of hostage-survivor Stephen Dorf, and the "rescuing people from Southeast Asia" movie Soldier Boys (1995), as Lamb, who steps on a land mine (sacrificial lamb -- get it?).
Man-mountain Michael Dudikoff stars.
A lonely ten-year old girl and her only friend, the reclusive Trent (Sam Rockwell), both have problems with unwelcome sexual advances from a couple of sleazoid roommates: the girl from Brett (David), and Trent from Sean (Eric Mabius). Not to worry, the evil gay guy is killed, but the pedophile isn't.
So he played the teenage version of homophobic President Richard Nixon, and more recently, Todd Palin, husband of homophobic Alaska Governor and VP contender Sarah Palin. That doesn't mean he's personally homophobic.
His sister-in-law, Ariel Winter, stars in the gay-positive Modern Family as the brainy teenager Alex Dunphy.
Doesn't that suggest that David is gay-positive?
Well, at least he has a nicely toned physique.
Dec 24, 2013
2. Turkey is one of the most-gay friendly countries in the Middle East, which means that most people are no more homophobic than your average Protestant fundamentalist in the U.S.
3. He is of Bosnian and Turkish-Bulgarian ancestry. According to the World Penis Map, Bosnians average 15.6 cm, and Bulgarians 15.02 (Americans only 12.9).
4. The Turkish national sport is oil wrestling, in which half-naked guys grease up with olive oil and try to pin each other.
5. Cagatay started modeling in 2009, at the age of 19, and won the Best Model of Turkey contest.
6. His first acting role was in the adventure film Anadolu Kartallari (Anatolian Eagle, 2011), but now he concentrates on soaps. In the soap Adini Feriha Koydum (2011-2012), he played rich kid Emir.
7. In the Turkish version of The O.C., Medcezir (2013-), he plays the Ryan Atwood character, Yaman Koper. He's got a girlfriend, but the gay subtext seems to be retained.
8. Cagatay has never fallen in love, although he gets lots of offers.
9. He is heterosexual, but does not currently have a girlfriend.
10. He loves his gay fans.
Dec 23, 2013
I didn't bounce around in ecstasy.
1. You sit in a rickety boat or on a rickety dock, with only a thin veneer of wood separating you from 40 feet of gross, dank water.
2. While the mosquitos eat you alive
3. You bait a hook with gross, squishy worms.
4. You dunk the worms in the water and wait.
6. Eventually a fish takes the bait, and you pull it onto the dock or the boat, where it struggles wildly and finally dies.
7. Then you have to scale it and gut it.
But fishing had some advantages.
It got very hot, so shirts came off, and the ripple of shoulders and biceps as Uncle Paul or Cousin Joe battled Fish was a beautiful sight.
And we weren't alone. There were lots of cute boys taking off their shirts to battle the fish, and they were surprisingly easy to catch.
When I was little, I played "inept," fumbling around with baits and lines, and waiting until a cute boy offered to teach me. Hopefully a fish would take the bait, and he would put his arm around me while helping me reel it in.
But when I visited Cousin George in the summer of 1971, I caught a fish, and paraded around with it until a cute boy offered back-slapping, hand-on-shoulder congratulations and questions of how I did it. I ended up with a buddy for the rest of my visit.
Cousin George was surprisingly nonchalant about me using fish to pick up guys.
I found out why a few years later.
6:00 am: I never heard of David Paetkau, who played a gay character in the Canadian ice hockey movie Goon (2011), so I looked him up on IMDB. He's been in over 30 movies and tv series, including Final Destination 2 (2003), Whistler (2006-2008), and Flashpoint (2008-). Nothing I've seen, and nothing with keywords "gay."
6:10 am: Google Images has pictures of him getting married, in a cop uniform, and hugging a number of guys, including Shaun Sipos. I never heard of him either, but one blogger thinks he's cute. So maybe Shaun Sipos is gay or plays gay characters?
6:15 am: Like David, Shaun Sipos is a British Colombia native who was in Final Destination 2. He's also been on the tv series Melrose Place (2009-2010), Life Unexpected (2010-2011), and The Vampire Diaries (2013). I haven't seen any of them either, but a keyword search for "gay" reveals that his Melrose Place character was involved with a bisexual woman.
6:20 am: He's in a movie called The Michaels (2014), in post-production. I can't find a synopsis online, but with multiple Michaels, one must be gay. And there's a character called Handsome Party Guy, played by Lars Slind. Never heard of him.
6:25 am: Score! Lars Slind, born in 1983 in Arizona, is an artist, actor, model, and writer with about a thousand shirtless and underwear shots on the internet.
He starred in the tv series The Cavanaughs (2011-2012) and has guest starred on Teen Wolf, True Blood, and Desperate Housewives, mostly in roles like "Hunky Guy."
6:35: He played Superman in Batman Hangover (2013), available on the Funny or Die website, and he's got a starring role coming up in the superhero comedy Real Heroes (2014).
Let's face it -- no one with this kind of physique is going to be cast as a gay character -- Hollywood wants its gay men to be wispy bits of fluff.
6:40: But Lars is gay or an ally (I can't tell which). He posed for the gay magazine DNA and gave an interview to The Gay League, a gay superhero fan blog.
Finally a gay connnection! And it only took 45 minutes!